PUBH-100: Global Issues in Public Health

Document Type


Publication Date



Counseling | Environmental Studies | Other Geography | Public Health | Rehabilitation and Therapy

Description, Abstract, or Artist's Statement

Human trafficking is a major problem not just somewhere around the world but possibly in your own neighborhood. Human trafficking is a non-communicable disease that is caused by a person being in a vulnerable position whether they are in a foreign country, leaving a place of poverty, leaving for political reasons, or for an overall change to better their life. With human trafficking being a $150 billion industry, there are unfortunately 20.9 million victims with 26 percent being children, 55 percent of the people being trafficked are women and girls leaving 45 percent to be men and boys. Women and girls are typically used for sexual exploitation while men and boys are typically used for labor exploitation. The effects of human trafficking range from malnutrition to PTSD. If you or a loved one have been trafficked, there are multiple interventions available such as SAVAS and SART and places to anonymously tip information such as the National Trafficking Hotline toll free number or the National Trafficking Hotline Website.

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.